Draupadi Murmu is India’s new president. Draupadi Murmu has become the 15th President of India
President of India 2022
The president of India is the country’s first citizen. An electoral committee made up of elected members of the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and Vidhan Sabha chooses the president of India. Since the establishment of the Indian Constitution in 1950, 14 presidents of India have led the nation as of 2021. Rajendra Prasad served as India’s first president.
The age requirement for becoming President of India is 35 years old, and the president must be an Indian citizen. He or she must meet the requirements to be chosen as a Lok member. He or she shouldn’t be employed by the Central government, a state government, or any other public agency in a profit-making position.
Draupadi Murmu: President of India 2022
On July 21, 2022, the results of the presidential election were made public, and Draupadi Murmu was named the winner. Draupadi Murmu is India’s second female president and the country’s first tribal president. The Bharatiya Janata Party’s candidate, Draupadi Murmu, was the first female governor of Jharkhand. Prior to that, she began her political career in Odisha when she was chosen to serve on the Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat Council in 1997. She was the national vice president of the BJP Scheduled Tribes Morcha and the chair of Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat in 2000.
List of Presidents in India
|President Name||Tenure Start Date||Tenure Close Date|
|Dr. Rajendra Prasad||26 January 1950||13 May 1962|
|Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan||13 May 1962||13 May 1967|
|Dr. Zakir Hussain||13 May 1967||3 May 1969|
|Varahagiri Venkata Giri||3 May 1969||20 July 1969|
|Varahagiri Venkata Giri||24 August 1969||24 August 1974|
|Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed||24 August 1974||11 February 1977|
|Neelam Sanjiva Reddy||25 July 1977||25 July 1982|
|Giani Zali Singh||25 July 1982||25 July 1987|
|Ramaswamy Venkataraman||25 July 1987||25 July 1992|
|Shankar Dayal Sharma||25 July 1992||25 July 1997|
|Kocheril Raman Narayanan||25 July 1997||25 July 2002|
|Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam||25 July 2002||25 July 2007|
|Pratibha Patil||25 July 2007||25 July 2012|
|Pranab Mukherjee||25 July 2012||25 July 2017|
|Shri Ram Nath Kovind||25 July 2017||21 July 2022|
|Draupadi Murmu||21 July 2022||Working|
The complete list of former Indian presidents is provided below:
- Rajendra Prasad: The first president of India was Dr. Rajendra Prasad who worked as president for two terms. He was also the president of the constituent assembly and the chief leader of the Indian Independence movement. He was awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1962.
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan: Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan was a philosopher and writer. His birthday is celebrated as teacher’s Day on 5th September every year in India. He was also the vice chancellor of the Andhra University and Banaras Hindu University.
- Zakir Hussain: Dr. Zakir Hussain became the first Muslim president of India and died at his post. He was the recipient of the Padma Vibhushan and Bharat Ratna awards. He was the shortest serving president of India.
- Varahagiri Venkata Giri: V.V. Giri was the fourth president of India and his full name was Varahagiri Venkata Giri. He was the only person to be elected president as an independent candidate. He was awarded Bharat Ratna in 1975. He was elected as the Vice president of India in 1967 and served as the President of India for a short term due to the sudden death of Zakir Hussain.
- Fakhruddin din Ali Ahmed: Fakhruddin din Ali Ahmed was the fifth President of India and was the second President who died in his post president.
- Neelam Sanjiva Reddy: Neelam Sanjiva Reddy was the 6th President of India and he was the first chief minister of Andhra Pradesh. He was directly elected for the post of Lok Sabha speaker and he was the youngest president who occupied the Rashtrapati Bhavan he also contested for the post of president twice.
- Giani Zail Singh: Giani Zail Singh was the first Sikh President of India and he was also the chief minister of Punjab and the Minister at the center. During his presidency, many important incidences took place in India such as operation Blue Star, The assassination of Indira Gandhi, and the anti-riots of 1984.
- R. Venkataraman: Venkataraman was the 8th president of India. He was the vice president of India from 1984 to 1987. He received ‘The Tamra Patra award for his contribution to India’s freedom struggle. He also received many honors from different parts of the world.
- Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma: Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma is the 9th President of India. He was also the chief minister of Bhopal and was Cabinet Minister from 1956 to 1967.
- K.R. Narayana: K.R. Narayana was the first Dalit president and the 10th president of India. He was the first Malayali person to receive the highest office in the country and was the first President to vote in Lok Sabha elections and address the state assembly.
- Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam: Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam was the first scientist who became the President of India and he was also known as the missile man of India. He was the first President who won the most votes in the history of presidential elections. In 1997 he was awarded Bharat Ratna.
- Shrimati Pratibha Singh Patil: Shrimati Pratibha Singh Patil was the first female President of India. Before that, she was the governor of Rajasthan, and from 1962 to 1985 he was a member of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly 5 times. She was the first woman president to fly Sukhoi.
- Pranab Mukherjee: Pranab Mukherjee was the 13th President of India and was the finance minister in the central government before contesting the presidential elections. In 1997 he was awarded the best parliamentary award and Padma Vibhushan India’s second highest civilian honor in 2008. On 31st August 2020, he died at the age of 84.
- Ramnath Kovind: Ramnath Kovind was the 14th president of India. He was an Indian lawyer and politician he became the President of India on 21st July 2017. He served as a respectful member of the Bharatiya Janata Party and he is the former governor of Bihar.
- Draupadi Murmu: Draupadi Murmu is the 15th President of India and she is the second female President of India. Apart from this, she is the first tribal woman to become the president of India. She has been appointed as the President of India after the announcement of the results of the presidential elections on 21st July 2022.