Agniveer in the Armed Forces
What is the Agnipath scheme and what are its advantages?
AGNIPATH Scheme in the Indian Armed Forces is a scheme wherein selected candidates will be enrolled as Agniveers for four years period.
On completion of the four year period, Agniveers will go to the society as disciplined, dynamic, motivated and skilled work force for employment in other sectors to pursue their career in job of their choice.
Based on organisational requirement and policies promulgated by the Armed Forces, Agniveers after completing their engagement period, will be offered an opportunity to apply for enrolment in the permanent cadre. Of these upto 25% of Agniveers will be selected to be enrolled in the Armed Forces as a regular cadre.
The scheme provides an avenue to Indian youth, desirous of serving the country to get recruited in the Armed Forces for a short duration.
The scheme enhances the youth profile of the Armed Forces.
This proposal envisages providing opportunity to the youth to serve in the military for short duration.
It will also lead to a much more youthful and technically adept war fighting force by ensuring a fine balance between youthful and experienced personnel in the Armed Forces.
What are the broad objectives of the AGNIPATH Scheme?
The broad objectives of the Scheme are:
- a. To enhance youthful profile of the Armed Forces so that they are at their fighting best at all times with increased risk taking ability.
- b. To attract young talent from the society to effectively exploit, adopt and use emerging modern technologies with enhanced technical thresholds of intake while leveraging Technical Institutions of the country.
- c. To provide an opportunity to the youth who may be keen to serve the Nation in uniform albeit for a short period of time.
- d. To imbibe The Armed Forces ethos, courage, camaraderie, commitment and teamwork in the youth.
- e. To provide abilities and qualities such as discipline, dynamism, motivation and work-skills so that the youth remains an asset.
What benefits are envisaged to be accrued from the Agneepath scheme?
The scheme would be a win win situation for the Armed Forces, Nation, individuals and the society at large.
- National integration based on unity in diversity with equal opportunity to youth including women from all regions.
- Nation Building through empowered, disciplined & skilled youth with military ethos in civil society.
- Improved battle preparedness through transformative evolution with energetic, fitter, diverse, more trainable and resilient youth suited to changing dynamics.
- Selection of the Best with rigorous and transparent selection process.
- Youthful Profile by optimal balance of youth & experience.
- Endeavour to Harness benefits of SKILL INDIA by induction from Tech Institutes.
- Opportunity for Youth to fulfil dream of joining the Armed Forces and serve the Nation.
- Imbibe military discipline, motivation, skill and physical fitness.
- Smooth integration into society with skill sets, certification and diplomas/ higher education/ credits.
- Good financial package making him more stable than his civilian counterparts.
- Confident & better citizens by military training, team building, ethos & camaraderie forged over the years.
- Resume so unique that an Agniveer will stand out in the crowd.
What is the financial package offered to an Agniveer in the Armed Forces?
Composite Annual Package
- Ist year package approx. Rs. 4.76 Lacs.
- Upgradation upto approx. Rs: 6.92 Lacs in 4th year.
- Risk & Hardship, Ration, Dress, Travel allowances as applicable.
- 30% of monthly emoluments to be contributed by individuals.
- Equal amount matched & contributed by the Government.
- Corpus of Rs.10.04 Lakhs plus accrued interest, exempted from Income Tax, after four years.
- Non-contributory life insurance cover of Rs. 48 Lakhs.
- Additional Ex Gratia of Rs. 44 Lakhs for death attributable to service.
- Pay for unserved portion upto four years including ‘SevaNidhi’ component.
- Compensation based on % disability laid down by medical authorities.
- Onetime ex-gratia of Rs.44/25/15 Lakhs for 100%/75%/50% disability respectively.